What students will learn this year with activities and resources for each item
This year we will learn four main areas of science: The Nature of Science and Engineering, Physical Science, Earth Science, and Life Science.
The Nature of Science and Engineering
- 18.104.22.168.1 Describe the positive and negative impacts that the designed world has on the natural world as more and more engineered products and services are created and used.
- 22.214.171.124.1 Identify and investigate a design solution and describe how it was used to solve an everyday problem.
- 126.96.36.199.2 Generate ideas and possible constraints for solving a problem through engineering design.
- 188.8.131.52.3 Test and evaluate solutions, considering advantages and disadvantages of the engineering solution, and communicate the results effectively.
- 184.108.40.206.1 Describe a situation in which one invention led to other inventions.
- 220.127.116.11.1 Measure temperature, volume, weight and length using appropriate tools and units.
- 18.104.22.168.1 Distinguish between solids, liquids and gases in terms of shape and volume.
- 22.214.171.124.2 Describe how the states of matter change as a result of heating and cooling.
- 126.96.36.199.1 Describe the transfer of heat energy when a warm and a cool object are touching or placed near each other.
- 188.8.131.52.2 Describe how magnets can repel or attract each other and how they attract certain metal objects.
- 184.108.40.206.3 Compare materials that are conductors and insulators of heat and/or electricity.
- 220.127.116.11.1 Identify several ways to generate heat energy.
- 18.104.22.168.2 Construct a simple electrical circuit using wires, batteries, and light bulbs.
- 22.214.171.124.3 Demonstrate how an electric current can produce a magnetic force.
- 126.96.36.199.1 Recognize that rocks may be uniform or made of mixtures of different minerals.
- 188.8.131.52.2 Describe and classify minerals based on their physical properties.
- 184.108.40.206.1 Identify where water collects on Earth, including atmosphere, ground, and surface water, and describe how water moves through the Earth system using the processes of evaporation, condensation and precipitation.
- 220.127.116.11.1 Describe how the methods people utilize to obtain and use water in their homes and communities can affect water supply and quality.
- 18.104.22.168.1 Recognize that the body has defense systems against germs, including tears, saliva, skin, and blood.
- 22.214.171.124.2 Give examples of diseases that can be prevented by vaccination.